Sunday 1 September 2013

Back to School

I am excited to start my seventh year of teaching this week and I have spent the summer refuelling for my little mathletes.  For the past two years I have been the only one spreading the good word of Maths and this can be a very lonely road at times.  Which is why I am thrilled to be joined by a very experienced and enthusiastic Math teacher and am looking forward to what I will learn this year from Mr. Patel. 


This summer I wanted to rev myself up again, to reconsider my methods and give my classes a boost in the creative department especially because of the TED talk which I posted about earlier in the year.  I discovered Twitter and Pinterest for resources and ideas and have been happily pinning and discovering other blogs as a result.


One individual in particular to spark some inspiration has been William Emeny.  I am reviewing his new book The Magic of Pineapples at the moment and have also purchased 100 Things Awesome Teachers Do.  Following him on twitter and thus discovering his blog has filled many a hours rethinking my lesson plans for the upcoming year.  Check him out at: www.greatmathsteachingideas.com.

I also found an article from Yahoo which has some nice first day lessons for middle years students. 


Good luck to all of the other teachers out there starting this week.  My freezer is stocked, my apartment is as clean as it´s going to be for the next 10 months. Year 7 of teaching, I know I´m going to be a stress head in a week...but bring it!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment