Monday 18 February 2013

For other educators - Creativity in Maths

I was recently given a link to a TED talk about how creativity is killed in the classroom, not just in Maths but in all subjects.  I was intrigued and started to think about my own methods in lessons. 

TED talk:



I realised that thought I am not strict with my students following my own problem solving techniques, I also wasn´t encouraging them when they were able to accurately arrive to the answer themselves.  How boring!  Everyone likes to feel as though they are intelligent and creative and I have realised how satisfied students are when they are creative in their methods.  I have been looking for more articles on the topic and found one which looks at the typical tendencies of educators to focus on traditional prescribed methods and how we should allow students more time to find solutions creatively as long as accuracy is maintained. 

Article:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Creativity_Essential/

No comments:

Post a Comment